This post may contain affiliate links.
Product reviews are a great way to introduce people to new products.
How do people know if the product is good or bad? Is the product worth buying? It’s your job to let people know. Potential customers want to hear what others think about the product before they make a purchase.
Why are Product Reviews Important to Customers?
As online shopping continues to grow in popularity, so does the use of product reviews. They help us make decisions about items we can’t see in person or hold in our hands before buying. They prevent the guesswork and help us weigh up the pros and cons of a purchase.
If a product has many positive reviews, it gives potential customers more assurance that they will be happy with the purchase.
Reviews can also help shoppers work out if there is anything wrong with an item so they don’t make any unexpected purchases and end up disappointed.
What Are the Benefits of Product Reviews as a Blogger?
As a blogger, you can write reviews for your audience to help them make informed decisions about their purchases.
Reviews add to the credibility and usefulness of your content. You are giving both honest opinions and facts on a product to help your readers decide if they want to buy it.
If you sign up for affiliate sales of products that you love and you know that your audience will love too, you can also receive earnings for the referral if it leads to a sale.
What Should You Write in a Product Review?
To start a product review post, you’ll need either a sample of the product or to gather a series of reviews of the product online. Amazon is always a good source for this because of the wide range of products and number of reviews.
There are a few important things to remember when writing a review to make sure you have an honest piece of content:
- The pros and cons of the product (ideally in an easy to read table or bullet form for people who like to scan).
- What makes this product good or bad for you, and why?
- What are some of its features that would be beneficial to someone who has been looking to buy it in particular?
- Any differences between this product versus other products they might have looked at but didn’t purchase because one seemed better than the others?
- Any repeated good or bad points you found from checking reviews on the product.
- Common complaints that people have about the product.
- The features that make it unique or what makes it stand out from other products.
- What are the alternatives to this item? What other products would be a good buy for someone who wants what you just reviewed?
- Make the current price of the product clear, so people can better understand what kind of value or quality they’ll receive.
- If using Amazon affiliates links there are some terms that prohibit mentioning the price. You could make reference to the general price such as ‘item normally in the range of £20’.
If you are in the United States, per FTC guidelines, you must disclose links on an article that are monetized. According to the FTC, the disclosure must be “clear and conspicuous.” It cannot be a hidden legal disclaimer that you must expand with a button click or live at the bottom of the page.
While here in the U.K. some form of additional disclosure is required to ensure that the affiliate content is clear.
It’s helpful to walk readers through the steps of using the product and include any technical information that is relevant.
Depending on your audience, certain words will either be more or less appropriate. When writing for an outside audience with no insider knowledge of the subject matter, you may need to adjust your language accordingly.
Writing a Quality Review
A product review is a great way to share your knowledge with the people you care about and help them make an informed decision. There are many things that go into writing one, but by following this guide, we hope you’ll feel more confident in what goes into it.